The Wild Musette Journal of Music, Mystery and Myth is a literary magazine focused on imaginative stories, inspired poetry, traditional music and dance, and fantasy. The journal is published twice per year in the spring and fall and is distributed in print and ebook formats, as well as being available as a free online blog subscription.
Wild Musette Journal is currently accepting submissions.
What We Publish
The Wild Musette Journal always circles back to a few core pieces focused on music and dance, but along the way we stray very far afield. To understand our approach, think about the way A Prairie Home Companion is a radio show about folk music, but diverges into all manner of serious or silly topics before returning to its center. Though our readers are enchanted by Euterpe and Terpsichore, they are also thrilled by a great adventure, a steamy romance, edgy fiction, and thoughtful (or humorous) reflections on nature and the human condition.
The journal is currently focused on the following themes:
- Music and dance. We are especially focused on traditional music of Celtic origins, but will consider all types of work with music and dance themes. This can include stories or poems where music and dance is central to the work or just an element.
- Fantasy and mythic fiction. We try to avoid high fantasy tropes but love character-driven stories in fantastical places, magical realism, and urban fantasy.
- Women’s Fiction and Consequential Relationships. We are interested in stories in which people’s choices have serious consequences for them and those around them. Sex and language are acceptable but should serve the story.
- Environmental and earth-centered concerns. Inspired themes about the natural world are of interest, as well as humanity’s uneasy place in it.
Inspired storytelling is the driving force behind the fiction we publish. Take our readers on a journey. We are looking for fiction between 1000-7500 words in length. Anything less than 1000 words we consider flash fiction and we group that with poetry for payment purposes.
Poems should be accessible and hit you in the gut with truth and image. Don’t be afraid of humor. Our readers want to be inspired and offered a unique view. Your use of form and classical allusion won’t impress us. Poems over one page in length are unlikely to be well-received unless they are especially focused on the Journal’s current themes.
Essays that address the journal’s themes are of interest, as are explorations of traditional music and dance. We consider substantive interviews with artists, musicians, and choreographers. We will consider scholarly works that inform readers and have been adapted with an emphasis on the telling of the story.
We are looking for evocative images for our cover. These can be paintings, drawings, or photography that speak to the Journal’s themes. This is a great opportunity to showcase an existing piece of artwork. Cover art should be in high quality JPEG format and at least 2700×1800 pixels.
Payment & Rights
Wild Musette pays semi-professional rates as follows:
- Fiction & Non-Fiction: $50
- Poetry & Flash Fiction: $15
- Cover Art: $100
Wild Musette buys first print and ebook rights and electronic archive rights. We do not buy previously published work. A rights contract will be mailed to you if your work is accepted.
Please no. We make an effort to provide responses in a timely fashion after reading periods close.
Wild Musette does not charge a reading fee for Journal submissions.
How to Submit
Use our Submissions Manager to submit your best work. Submit up to five poems or two prose pieces.
Books & Special Projects
Wild Musette is not currently accepting unsolicited submissions for book projects.